Friday, June 08, 2007

Together, Sandie & I have a real disease

Sandie and I were researching our various disorders last night. She gets hemangiomas in her foot - hemangiomas are blood filled tumors. I have ITP - which is a form of thrombocytopenia, which means that I don't have platelets. During our research, we found a disorder called Hemangioma-Thrombocytopenia Syndrome.

Hemangioma-Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (also known as Kasabach-Merritt Syndrome) is a rare disorder characterized by an abnormal blood condition in which the low number of blood platelets causes bleeding (thrombocytopenia). The thrombocytopenia is found in association with a benign tumor consisting of large, blood-filled spaces (cavernous hemangioma). The exact cause of this disorder is not known.


So the weird part is that she gets hemangiomas and I get thrombocytopenia - so together, we have the one syndrome. I just though that was weird.

No comments: