Sunday, September 23, 2007

My legs hate me, almost as much as I hate shopping

This weekend was slow for exercise - usually the bf and I take a couple of walks, a couple of bike rides. But this weekend, my legs were so pissed at me. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I take an exercise class that my work offers during lunch. And it is like The Biggest Loser - there's sweating, grunting and muscle failure. And I was so sore from Thursday's session that I could only hobble until today. I was thrilled when I woke up this morning and was able to mostly extend my legs - but still, it's better than the twisted up, cramped, paralyzed legs that I had yesterday. I was even able to sit on the toilet without yelling "owowowowowowowowowow." Progress, my dear reader, progress. It was a disappointment to find that after all of that, my legs had not transformed from cottage cheese to tanned, firm, muscular goddess legs. Apparently pounds of fat don't disappear after one intense workout session - though they should. That is one of my complaints about this dimension. Anyway, I will definitely have to take it easy - it's a bit counterproductive when I can't even move for the next two days.

I also had to get rid of a lot of clothes because. . .they are too BIG. There are some in there that are just faded and ugly, but most of them are too big. Which is awesome and I am definitely proud of myself. This is an awesome development. However, there are two negatives:
  • The weight loss is in places that aren't that big, like my boobs (my butt is impervious to any sort of exercising or nutrition - it is a fat party there that never stops).
  • It means I will have to go shopping, which is fraught, I tell you. Fraught.

Shopping is awful. I have a lot of deep-rooted fat issues (I always wonder if the salespeople are going to kick me out because I'm too fat - seriously, I think that. Yes, I know I have issues - I won't even get into some of the other irrational fat issues.) But I have since realized that shopping is fraught for even the thin women. I can never find anything that fits - my boobs are too small for fat clothes, my rear is too big for regular clothes, the list goes on. But I need clothes for work. I was looking online for plus-size clothes - it was mumus, polyester flowered shirts, elastic waisted pants - it is tragic. If a woman is overweight, does it mean, she can't wear anything with any sort of style? Doomed to a life of dowd - http://www.makingitbig.com/category/55. Why, oh why, do these stores stay in business? Do women like these kinds of clothes or do they think it's their only option? It's in the same realm as appliqued kitten sweatshirts. Why, God, why? Women need to understand that despite being overweight, ,they still have a right to care about how they look. Maybe I'm being a little harsh - taste is subjective? If anyone thinks that the clothes in the link about are awesome, let me know.

So I am definitely up to walking tomorrow - I can't live in a world where my clothing options are even more limited than they are now. If my legs finally start being friends with me again.

No comments: